Saturday, June 19, 2010

Blue and White

Blue and White. I love them. From French Toile's to Spode plates to Chinese ginger jars ....

So when I was perusing a magazine yesterday and came across this picture, it was time to pause and soak it in.


This is an advertisement for Sico Paint, the advertisement was found in Canada's "In Style" magazine.

Don't you love the white pillow with the blue floral - the crisp white upholstered chair against the "Spring Rain" wall? It really speaks of peace and tranquility to me with a beautiful edge. And then the little picture on the right hand side with the butterflies on it. I started thinking......

Why not incorporate the things that are beautiful to me in this picture into a card? What if the floral elements of the card are rendered in blue and white like the pillow - but the butterly looks as realistic as possible? Would it be a beautiful juxtaposition?


Well it worked for me. I loved experimenting with the idea! The butterfly is a Hero Arts Etching stamp - which was coloured with pencils and then painted with Oyster Twinkling H20's for the subtle shimmer of butterfly scales. I deliberately didn't make the butterfly too colourful to try and maintain an elegant feel to the card. Also, most butterflies around our area are more subdued in colour - and they were my 'living' inspiration ...


Trying to capture the shimmer was next to impossible ... but I hope you can get the idea!

Thanks for popping in and visiting me! I enjoyed sharing that!

Best wishes to those peeps who will be sharing tomorrow with the special men in life we call "Fathers"!! I pray that your day will be filled with love and blessings!

:0)!!

**000**

Materials: Floral, Sentiment and Lace Stamps - Flourishes; Butterfly - Hero Arts; Cardstock and Ink - Papertrey Ink; Ribbon - Michaels; Pearl - Kaiser; 3D Dots - EK Success; Pencils - Prismacolor; Twinkling H2O's

19 comments:

Nancy L. said...

beautiful card nerina!! so simple yet so stunning!!

Francie said...

Gorgeous! The shimmer of the butterfly wings is beautiful against the soft blue and white of the card. And goodness, that floral background is sending me right over to the Flourishes site.

Aimes said...

Truly beautiful! I love how serene and calming this card is! Totally captured the atmosphere created in that advertisement sooooooooo well!!!
I'll have some of your mojo if you're willing to share ;D
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Noora said...

Stunning card Nerina, love the color, love how soft it looks and that butterfly is just perfect!

Diane Jaquay said...

I can see the shimmer Nerina, that butterfly is utterly GORGEOUS!! And I'm with you, love blue and white, it's so clean and fresh somehow, don't you think? I LOVE this beautiful card!!

Melissa said...

This card is so delicate and gorgeous! Love the background and those colors are beautiful!

Kathy Martin said...

Fabulous inspiration photo....love the cool calm blue and white! Such a pretty card! The butterfly is a beautiful focal point! :)

Baseret said...

This card is gorgeous!I love the butterfly and how it stands center stage against that beautiful floral background.

Lori said...

Oh my Nerina, this card is stunning!!! I'm not a blue fan but the inspiration piece would get my mojo flowing!!!

Laurie said...

This is so pretty Nerina! Love how the butterfly pops off of your card!

Terri said...

Nice interpretation. The butterfly is a perfect touch!

Sharron said...

Nerina, this is SO LOVELY--so delicate and soft! The floral background is so pretty and the butterfly is just perfect! I love how you did the coloring--really captures the fragile, shimmery look so it seems almost real.

Linda said...

Beautiful, Nerina. That butterfly looks like it might fly away at any moment. Stunning!

Christina said...

Gorgeous interpretation of the magazine photo! I should try doing that more often! Your butterfly is the perfect contrast to the soft floral background.

Barbara said...

This is just GORGEOUS, Nerina! I love the soft look of the blue lace and the shimmery butterfly is the perfect embellishment.

Amy said...

Your BEAUTIFUL butterfly on that pale blue backdrop is just gorgeous!!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

What a beautiful card you have created! The subtle blue stamped image is gorgeous and your butterfly is stunning.

Audrey Pettit said...

Umm, WOW! This is stunning, Nerina! Totally stunning! And how fun to see where you derived your inspiration for this. Loved this post, girl!

Heather P. said...

*GASP!* Wow, Nerina! You are amaaaazing! This card is simply stunning!