Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shabby Softness for Summer

The Shabby Tea Room is having another challenge this week, called "Summer Fun" or "Fun in the Sun" ... and our cards are meant to showcase our version of summer - and summer fun.

Well. I fudged slightly. Summer means flowers to me. I LOVE flowers - roses especially. So my card is all about flowers.

However - disclaimer here - I HATE gardening. The 'fun in the sun' part there isn't really true (Oh, I DO, do it, but I pull weeds with my teeth clenched!) . So if you can please imagine when you look at my card that I'm thinking about walking around a Botannical Garden for the 'fun' part - rather than pulling weeds in my own - I'd appreciate that - thank you :0)


I really wanted this card to be very, very soft. Like petals!



I opted for a clear card base to get a little extra shimmer into the design - also I thought about the "clear days" of summer (yes really :0)!

The floral embellishment backing is stamped with PTI's "Dot Spot" and then cut out with a scalloped circle from Spellbinders.


Here is one more shot of what the card looks like completely closed.

My family was so full of teasing jokes about this - I was asked why, if I was going to go to all this trouble over a card I was trying to make it invisible ...

It's my first shot at a clear card :0) Heeeee! So cute of them :0)!

Have a beautiful day Peeps! Thanks for stopping in!!

Blessings to you!

P.S. In case you wondered - those pins are regular dress making pins with beads threaded onto them. I would LOVE to be able to purchase hat pins - but my "LSS" (two hours away) doesn't carry them - so this IS about being creative - isn't it? :0)

**000**

Materials: Acetate - Studio K; Stamps, Button, Twine; Yellow DP; Flower Dies - Papertrey Ink; Pearls - Kaiser; Sparkly Swirl - Walmart; Beads - Mill Hill; Also - Seam Binding; Vintage Paper; Thread

ETA: Thank you *SO, SO* much to the ladies at The Shabby Tea Room for recognising this card in their honourable mentions this week! It is *such* an honour - THANK YOU!!

21 comments:

Christina said...

Wow, Nerina, you hit this one out of the park! So much to love on this card, from the sweet papers to the layered flower to those clever beaded pins! Simply gorgeous!

Debbie said...

Well ... boo hoo to your family! I think this card is absolutely FABULOUS!!!! So clever to make fancy trinket pins with sewing pins and beads!!! Thanks, once again, for being such a loyal weekly participant -- we {heart} seeing your work in the Tea Room :)

Anika said...

Lovely! So elegant, totally has a Melissa Phillips feel to it! I just keep looking at it...so much to see and take in. Way to go!

Diane Jaquay said...

So soft and lovely and vintagy, I love this Nerina! Btw, I've noticed your name all over the place lately for winning challenges, you've got your mojo working overtime girly! Congrats!

Jennifer K said...

Oh goodness, Nerina. I really love how soft and vintage-y this is. I've always wondered how people use the pins - do you put something on the end so you (or your recipient) doesn't get stuck by it?

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Nerina! So soft & feminine looking!

Kathy Martin said...

So very pretty, sweet and shabby chic! I LOVE every detail! :)

Laurie said...

Holy cow Nerina! I love this! Putting this on clear cardstock makes the rest of the card pop! I love it! And the vintagey feel is great! Love it!!

peggysue said...

I'm speechless! This is gorgeous! So soft and such a great layout and paper choices.

Amy said...

What a beautiful card and it's on clear cardstock??!! This is the most vintagy look! Fantastic!!

Terri said...

Very soft and pretty. Love the pins you made too!

Sharron said...

Nerina, this is so beautifully done! Rather than fun in the "sun", this reminds of early morning. That perfect time when it is cooler, maybe a slight breeze, when all the flowers look perfect! Love the wonderful vintage feel and lovely papers--so very pretty!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

This card is so beautiful. I love the different patterns all incorporating pink. Your bow is so pretty as well as your flower. No weeds here!

Marinette said...

ce que j'aime sur tes cartes, c'est toute la sobriété et tout le raffinnement qui s'en dégage, j'adoooore Bravo Nerina

Deb Hickman said...

Such an elegant card.I adore your beautiful flower.

june lanum said...

your card is beautiful, so soft and elegant, love it

Lisa said...

Oh Nerina, I absolutely {heart} your designs, colors and layouts and I look forward to your designs each week! This card is just fabulous! Thanks for playing along at the Tea Room!

Lori said...

WOW Nerina!!!! Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Audrey Pettit said...

Ooh, this card is gorgeous!! Love, love, love this design. So elegant and so beautiful! And I admit, I hate the work part of gardening, too. Ugh. Thanks for playing along with us again in the Tea Room.

Heather P. said...

This is sooooo beautiful! I only *wish* I could make something as lovely with so much texture and layering!

Laura - The Stampin' Soldier said...

Beautiful card!