Thursday, August 5, 2010

Monochromatic ...

Hi everyone! What a week! There are so many fires around us at the moment that the houses just across the street are seen through a smokey haze. Eeeeew! Lots of work still being done by the brave fire fighters! Bless them!

Cath Edvalson put up this picture at the Moxie Fab world for the Tuesday Trigger this week ...


Isn't that pretty? I loved the mix of delicate colours - the gold, the texture on the sea shells, the light reflecting off the glass ...


I opted for cream instead of white. (It shows monochromatic effects in much better detail!) Although the title of the Challenge was "She Sells Sea Shells" I opted not to use the shells. I used the picture as a pure inspiration piece and was inspired by the texture on the shells, and their shape rather than the shells themselves. Don't those round periwinkle shells remind you of rolled flowers? :0)

This card has a lot going on, but not in the colour department! Heee!


The large background piece is dry embossed, with strips of torn vellum overlaid. I then heat embossed the square, the butterfly, the leaves and the sentiment. The flowers are handmade rolled flowers - the edges are lightly touched with gold pigment ink. The butterfly trail is pierced and stitched with gold filament. I antiqued my edges for some dimension and finished it all off with some pink home made seam binding :0)

I have discovered that the "Tuesday Throwdown" Challenge this week is Monochromatic ... so this is going in there too :0)

So there it is! Thanks for stopping by!

:0)


**000**

Materials - Cardstock, Leaf and Sentiment Stamps, Button and Twine - Papertrey Ink; Brocade and Butterfly Stamps - Hero Arts; Embossing Folder - Provo Craft; Versamark Ink; Pearl and Gold embossing powders - Stampendous; Velluum - Studio K; Pearls - Kaiser; Gold Fillament - Anchor; Seam Binding - Hug Snug; Gold Cord - May Arts; Other - Thread

18 comments:

Aimes said...

Pure elegance!!! I love how you got from periwinkle shells to these gorgeous rolled flowers! Oooh and the textures on this are fab too - I could just stare at this for hours!
I hope the situation with the fires are improving - sending positive vibes your way!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

BeeBeebabs said...

Absolutely gorgeous thanks for sharing!!!

Camilla said...

Wow - it is really a beautiful card ... very elegant with many details.

Lee Anne said...

I think this is beautiful. It does have a lot going on but you put it together just perfectly!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Absolutely stunning! So beautiful is your piece of art. All the different textures and embossing really makes this card 'shine'.

Anika said...

So gorgeous! Love how you used that trigger picture!

Rhonda said...

This is so you!! Gorgeous. Love all the details.

Monika Reeck said...

the embossing butterfly is soo lovely..and love your sweet flower too...what a nice color combo....ADORABLE CARD DEAR....great take on the Photo challenge...I am joining the Tuesday Trigger too and my card is number 18, would you mind to see my Blog?Many thanks before, hugs, Monika

Dana said...

I have no words for how beautiful this is Nerina. You amaze me.

Angy said...

This is absolutely amazing! I was trying to decide what to do for this challenge because I don't have any shells at all. What a fabulous direction to go in.

Amy said...

Exquisite!!! I love this....so elegant!

Diane Jaquay said...

Mmmmm, this card is so lovely and dreamy Nerina! Beautiful work!!

Sharron said...

My, your card is SO LOVELY! Love all the exquisite detailing! Hope the fire situation is improving--so scary! My thoughts are with all those brave souls taking care of things.

Davi said...

So very beautiful! Love everything about it. Thanks for joining us at TT this week.

Heather P. said...

So soft and BEAUTIFUL! Wow!

Terri said...

Very pretty. Love the rolled flowers! Hope the fires have gotten better by now.

sheabella said...

WOW! That's insanely gorgeous! Good for you!

Cath said...

Hey Nerina! What a beautiful approach to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! Thanks so much for playing along! :)