Saturday, September 25, 2010

Papertrey Blog Hop September Challenge ...

Hi everyone!! (Big wave! :0) A slightly different format for the hop this time around - I hope that the international peeps have been able to come out and play too!

The challenge this time was a REAL challenge for me! To share a skill learned .... Hmmmmm.

You didn't come here to learn how to tie a bow - did you (especially after Dawn gave us her amazing tutorials ...!) Maybe emboss resist? (But Nichole does such an amazing job of that ....) A copic tutorial (LOL - I don't have any) but we have Debbie who rocks the copic world ... Oh I could go on .... but we're pretty well covered aren't we?!

So I turned my attention to something completely different. Lately (like other people on the forum), I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed - school is back in, life is busy, busy, busy .... and my lovely stamp collection calls to me. But when I try and create it seems like everything calls to me at once. Now we have dies, felt, tags, mats ... and I just want to love it all!! My card creating time is becoming more and more confusing and challenging.

Then I remembered why I fell in love with PTI in the first place. I loved the stamps. I loved the designs. I loved the colours. I loved how a beautifully finished project looked manageable and doable. I loved Nichole's blog and her clean, powerful card design.

Where did I go wrong??

So the "skill" I'm sharing today is one that I'm just setting about learning. Summarised as "Leave it OFF!!" I'm starting to haunt sites like Clean and Simple Sketches. Solid card foundations .... and a return to the delight and wonder that made me a PTI lover in the first place - beautiful colours, beautiful quality products and gorgeous stamp design. Here goes....


Simple design doesn't have to be meek and boring (LOL!)


Although there is lots of colour, there isn't a lot of clutter ...

So for another card, where I wanted to work it a bit more ... I left off most of the colour :0)


A bit of embroidery and some punched shapes ... simple stamping ...


....and not much to detract from it all!

So there it is.

Time to go and haunt Maile Belles blog I think - what a great place to learn how to simplify!!  :0)!!

Have a wonderful hop! Time for us to go and collect wood (I'll be grateful sometime around Christmas!) and I'll catch up with you wonderful bloggers later!

:0)!




49 comments:

Leora said...

Beautiful cards!

Lee said...

I've seen a lot of CAS cards today and I'm really loving them. Your cards are simply stunning Nerina.

Keva said...

Great cards, Nerina! Love the colors of the first one. Just so bright and fun. The second one has a nice softness about it and I really like the stitching. Nice job.

Rhonda said...

Great cards Nerina! But gotta say I love the bright colors on the 1st.

Maile Belles said...

Nerina, these are simply stunning! Love the bold yet simple design of the first and the gorgeous french knots on the second.

Pam W. said...

Love them all! And I think your "Leave it off" design style is great.

Sue Lelli said...

That bright card is definitely NOT meek and boring but BEAUTIFUL! LOVE all your cards. Wish i could practice "Leave it Off!"

Allison said...

Your cards are terrific and that bright one makes me swoon!

Cathy Weber said...

Both cards a beautiful but the terrific bright color combination of the first card jumped right out at me. So, so pretty. Great job.

Leah said...

Wow! Super in love!
And even though simple is lovely...sometimes more IS more! LOL!
When I think I am ready to stop..I add one more thing! LOL! Ok, maybe that works better w/ scrap pages then cards?
Anyways, I totally think these are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kay said...

Both of these cards are beautiful, and I love the contrast between the two!

Baseret said...

I love them both Nerina! The second one is GORGEOUS!I love the softness of it and the texture that the dots give.

Aimes said...

Oh Nerina you have totally rocked CAS!!! I'm not worthy!!!
That first card is just FABULOUS! Love the simplicity contrasting against the boldness; jaw-droppingly amazing!
Then you totally rock the 'white space' CAS with your second card! Girlie, you've totally hit the ball outta the park with these!
Hugs,
Aimes
x
P.S If you ever find more time lying around anywhere could you let me know about it LOL!

Sue Ann said...

Oh I do love the first card ........ fun and funky .... and the second one is soft and beautiful!!! Fantastic art Nerina!!!

sugacatz said...

I have to say I love that glittery purple stripe. Lx

Amy said...

Both of these cars are jaw dropping gorgeous. Love the bold bright colors and patterns of the first one and all the white space on your second card. True masterpieces!

Anne said...

Such different cards and both so pretty and beautiful!!

Laura Isham said...

both cards are amazingly gorgeous. I almost needed sunglasses for the first card....the colors are so bright and fresh and fun! The second card is so soft and beautiful. Nerina, you never disapoint!

Karen said...

Both cards are beautiful, but I just love the second one!

Kelly S. said...

Love your post, Nerina, it is all so TRUE! That pink card is like a samba...or a fiesta! It made me want to get up and dance, sooo happy and pretty! The second one is such a stunner with the little pops of pink flowers...awesome job!

Deb C said...

Simply STUNNING, Nerina! They are so different but I love them both!!!

TFS~

Kara said...

great cards....i'm in love with the second one!

Marge said...

So different from each other & yet both STUNNING!!!

Jen Carter said...

Both are stunning! I love the colors on the first!! and I love the softness of the 2nd! Very, very pretty!

Terri said...

Great job on both of them, Love your version of CAS!

Gayatri said...

Gorgoeus cards, Nerina! The first one is bright and cheerful and the second one is my fav because of its subtlety. Love it:)

Eva said...

Great Cards!

peggysue said...

Both of them are just a wow, wow, wow! Each one of them is so different looking, so cheerful on the first and so elegant on the second. I don't think it matters if you pile it on or keep it CAS, the important thing is to enjoy the craft and bless someone else with the giving.

Kalyber said...

both are beautiful - wow is that first card bright.

jen said...

Great cards, and GREAT point!!! I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in the more is more- I'm loving the less is more too! :)

Jen said...

Beautiful cards, and thanks for the link to clean and simple- I need that kind of inspiration too!

Traveling Mama said...

These are both so different, but I love them both! Hugs from Denmark!

Amy said...

Both cards are great but I LOVE that second one! That would make a lovely baby card!

Cammie said...

Nerina, you know you are an inspiration too! These are just so gorgeous and your post really spoke to me. I have felt overwhelmed when sitting down to make a card. I feel like I need to add more and often am dissatisfied with the the result. Thanks for reminding me and showing me the importance of the basics!
Hugs,
Cammie

Vanessa said...

Wow, beautiful, Nerina!! I am in love with your super bright card! Vanessa x

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

These are GORGEOUS Nerina! I LOVE how bright and fun the first one is and the second is so sweet and beautiful!

Karen C said...

Beautiful cards! The second one is divine!

Nancy L. said...

I'm with you Nerina! Seems like I want to buy everything and I can't!! But I always go for the clean and simple.
Love your cards!!

Jessica said...

Beautiful bold colors - love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog! ;)

Sara Mac said...

Two lovely cards! I love the bright, bold one. The glitter strip is perfect.

Babies- Beth said...

Good golly, Miss nerina, that pink and white card is just a baby card in disguise! Lol, I even saw the tag asw saying 'Embrace that Sweet Baby'! lol lol lol. I know what you mean about all of the things we can now buy- but we still have the same amount of time- so something has to get left behind, I think.

Kristii said...

Such beautiful cards!!!! They totally make me smile!!! The colors and designs are so happy!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Melissa said...

Two beautiful cards! Love the bright, bold colors on the first with that strip of glitter, yum!

The second is so delicate and pretty, the design is beautiful!

Jennifer K said...

Both cards are beautiful but your white card is really stunning - I really like all the white with the pop of bright green and just a little spot of pink.

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Gorgeous cards Nerina but that first one is such a stunner!! Oh my, I just love all those fun colours!!

Anna (doctorfoodie) said...

Beautiful cards! It's funny, just as you're going CAS, I've been checking out your blog and trying to do more. :)

Sharron said...

Both cards are just stunning--one so striking and the other so soft and delicate! I can really identify with your comments about feeling overwhelmed with 'stuff'! I certainly have more than adequate supplies yet too often feel confused rather than creative. You certainly are an inspiration to show that CAS works just as well!

Adele Fowler said...

beautiful cards!! :)

k prakken said...

Beautiful cards. I love the bright colors of the first one.