Monday, October 25, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Hi Peeps! I have been wanting to post something on my blog for this important theme - and decided to dedicate today to it. For a special reason. For a special person.

I'm sure all of us know someone who has been affected by cancer - or lost loved ones to some form of this horrible disease. Today, as I'm writing one of my friends is presently recovering from the surgery she had earlier today - for a mastectomy.

So my blog post today is dedicated to her. It seems like such a natural day for me to remember to educate myself - and there is a whole website which addresses this issue.

I had really wanted to make a card for my friend using the colours provided for the last WPlus9 Colour Q Challenge - but just couldn't get the grey to agree with the light look I wanted. Full of life and hope. Hopefully those colours will still make an appearance here soon ;0)

 Breast Cancer Card

This uses the pink we associate with this theme - but also some paper from Basic Grey's Sugared Collection - with the gorgeous green accents, and Waltzingmouse's darling Teeny Tiny Trees!

Breast Cancer Deet

Some silk ribbon embroidery and some shiny rhinestone bling - for softness and sparkle. I'm looking forward to speaking with my friend soon and finding out how things went for her.

I promised an update on the hunkadorus' birthday card - and the news is good. But not THAT good ;0)!He liked the card and said so. So I really do think it went over well.

But he LOVED the chicken and mushroom dinner I made for him and RAVED about that.

What's that old saying about the way to a man's heart?? LOL!

If the sun comes out nicely tomorrow I may retake these pics. It looks like a lovely shower of rain is brewing!

Have a fantastic day!

ETA - These are the new pics - the sun did come out in the end! But it wasn't rain that was brewing - it was SNOW! My friend is also doing very well, I'm *so* happy to say :0)!!

19 comments:

Keva said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Nerina. I love the way the Teeny Trees looks on this card.

I'll be sure and pray for your friend. Breast Cancer DOES affect so many people. I do a 60 mile, 3 day walk for breast cancer each year that is SO inspiring.

Lee Anne said...

This is beautiful Nerina. Just beautiful - as all your work is!

Cristina said...

Beautiful card and a beautiful post. (And congrats on being blogspotted - twice! - by the CARDS blog.)

Geny (Mommy Geny) said...

What a beautiful card and for a wonderful purpose! Hugs to you my friend!

Beebeebabs said...

Such a cute card thanks for sharing!!

Jen Carter said...

This is gorgeous!! Such a thoughtful card!

Brandi said...

What an absolutely beautiful card!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Beautiful card for your dear friend.

Cammie said...

This beautiful card and your thoughtfulness will be a comfort to your friend I'm sure.
Sending a huge hug to you, dear Nerina.

Lee said...

Such a beautiful card. My friend had her second session of chemo yesterday for breast cancer so this is really close to my heart too.

Amy said...

Wow, this is such a beauty! Love how the teeny trees look in pastels! What a wonderful gesture to send her a thinking of you card.

Nadine said...

Beautiful card Nerina! Love how you accented each tree. I just ordered this stamp set and Im expecting it any day now. What a great friend you are Nerina, I can see that this card was made with a lot of love.

Sending you a hug and some sunshine my friend!

Elizabeth Allan said...

Beautiful card Nerina.

Diane Jaquay said...

Oh Nerina, I hardly know what to say, this card is just so stunningly BEAUTIFUL!!! Now I simply must buy that stamp set from WM, I adore those trees!

Sharron said...

Nerina, this is so soft and pretty--just BEAUTIFUL! And, of course, I love those trees! Hope you friend is doing well. I'm sure she will love your card. I have had several friends and a family member with breast cancer--such a terrible and frightening disease that is far too common.

peggysue said...

This is beautiful Nerina, so soft and lovely. And I'm glad at least your husband liked the dinner! LOL! That's worth a lot!

Laurie said...

GORGEOUS! So soft and elegant! I just LOVE this card!

Belinda said...

So pretty! Love the text in the back and the silver touches!

Terri said...

Beautiful card. Glad your friend is doing well too!