Thursday, August 23, 2012

U

Soooooo, I know you've seen this gal before ... you may even have seen her on this blog before ... but if you follow the Runway Inspired Challenge site, you probably saw her there first. :0)

I found the picture inspiring. I love the contrast of the black and white with that splash of orange - and  those sunglasses lend a cool urban vibe.

And then Cath has this Focal Point Challenge happening over at the Moxie Fab World (yup, you've probably heard about that already too :0)!

Anyway. I had this crazy desire to head out of my comfy design box and try something a little bit graphic and a little bit cool. So with that inclination and some time ...

U

I'll give a little recipe at the end of the post for anyone who is interested in the 'how'. I don't have a digital cutter or huge alphabet letters ...

U Deet

I was really happy with how this one turned out - my little stint at graphic design :0)!

Thanks for stopping in!

x

N

So the how:

All I had were some Block Alphabet Dies that stand about 3/4" tall. So this recipe is for those:

1. Die cut u from black paper
2. Photocopy image at 200%, photocopy enlarged image by 141% again (limits of my copier :0)!
3. Cut out larger image.
4. Die cut circle from black cardstock. Affix enlarged letter to circle with one serif over the circle edge.
5. Cut around letter with a craft knife.
6. Discard positive image and affix remaining circle to card.
7. Stamp 'miss'.
8. Adhere flower and rhinestone centre.

14 comments:

Rhonda said...

So absolutely cute!!!! you need to do graphic design more often.

Jennifer K said...

Nerina, this is great! I love how creative you got in getting the size "u" that you wanted. Go you! And thanks so much for explaining the steps.

Asha said...

Absolutely stunning, Nerina! I could never pull of something as elegant as this! I can't stop staring...

Elizabeth Allan said...

Nerina add graphic to you list of designing techniques... you are fabulous at it!

Mary-Anne V said...

love this graphic look...thanks for the mini tutorial.

Amber said...

This is perfect!!!

Helen said...

Oh wow Nerina this is great! Stunning CAS graphic card!

Aimes said...

Awesome example of a focal point, packin' a punch with that orange flower too! Love it!
Hugs!
x

Steph H said...

Your attempt at graphic design is a winner! I love the clear lines and simple message. Great layout!

Sarah said...

Absolutely wonderful card! I love the simple, bold focal point. I'm so glad you let the RIC inspire your card.

Jennifer Rzasa said...

So glad you see you playing along again! Your card is bold, and the "miss" looks cool in the large "u." Thanks for joining us on the Runway!

Laura B. said...

This is so graphic and totally awesome! I love it!

maria f. said...

Cool! Love the graphic feel.

Cath said...

Hey Nerina! Thanks for linking this up to the Focal Point Challenge in the Moxie Fab World. I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)